Lady Bird Johnson's Lemon Cake
Recipe originally from WBrockman@cox.net.
- 1 1/4 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 2 1/2 Cups Sifted Cake Flour
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Rind
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Sift sugar and be sure there are no lumps.
- Beat butter until soft, then add the sugar gradually.
- Blend these ingredients until they are very light and creamy.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks until they are very light
and lemon colored.
- Then blend the egg yolks into the butter mixture.
- Resift the cake flour, baking powder and salt three times.
- Then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three
parts, alternating with thirds of the 3/4 cup of milk.
- Beat the batter thoroughly after each addition.
- Then add the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon rind and beat
for two additional minutes.
- Bake in 9 inch layer pans in a 375 F oven for about 20
minutes, or until the center is done.
- Let layers cool and then frost with Lemon Icing.
* From the archives at the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library
- Blend very well 2 cups confectioner's sugar and 1/4 cup
soft butter, then add 1 or more teaspoons cream.
- Beat in grated rind and juice of one lemon.
- Frost cake.
Back to my dessert pages
Back to my recipe pages
Back to my fun pages
Back to my home page