Black Bean Soup
For the soup:
- 1 12-ounce package of dried black beans
- 1 49.5-ounce can of chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2-3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 shakes garlic powder
For the additions:
- 0.5 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 tsp dry mustard
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper
- 0.5 cup dry sherry
- 1 lb ham, diced into small pieces
- Rinse beans; put into a large kettle or dutch oven with
soup stock, onion, garlic powder, and carrots.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer until everything is soft,
but you can continue to simmer for several hours if convenient.
- Mill in food mill or food processor, and return to kettle.
- Add the additions (spices, sherry, and ham).
- Stir and continue to simmer until all ingredients are heated.
Serves 8, generously. May be garnished with thin sliced hard boiled
eggs and thin sliced lemon, or with bits of alligator pear.
Back to my soup pages
Back to my recipe pages
Back to my fun pages
Back to my home page