Michigan Terminal System: Time Line
- May 1966
- IBM 360 Model 50, located at the North University Building
(NUBS), used for early MTS development work.
- Merit Network founded.
- First Data Concentrator built (as part of the ConComp Project).
For more than 10 years, these provided the bulk of the access to
MTS for timesharing users.
- January 1967
- Computing Center obtains a new IBM 360 Model 67.
- May 1967
- MTS released to campus as operating system for IBM 360/67.
- Batch-mode access and billing for CPU time added to MTS.
- February 1968
- First remote graphics station connected to MTS.
- August 1968
- Computing Center obtains dual-processor 360/67.
- November 1968
- University of British Columbia runs MTS.
- February 1969
- University of Newcastle runs MTS.
- October 1969
- Construction commences on North Campus Computing Center Building.
- September 1970
- University of Alberta runs MTS.
- January 1971
- Wayne State University runs MTS.
- April 1971
- Computing Center moves to new building; NUBS remains as a
remote batch station. MTS runs on an Amdahl 470V/6 computer
(serial number 2).¹
- May 1974
- First MTS workshop held at University of British Columbia.
- Confer software provides conferencing and e-mail services
- "Which Host?" network prompt first appears.
- July 1976
- Rensselaer Polytechnic University runs MTS.
- October 1976
- Confer and MTS used in support of a conference of the
International Society for Technology Assessment.
- Microcomputer access to MTS provided.
- July 1981
- $MESSAGE e-mail available on MTS.
- September 1982
- MTS able to send and receive e-mail to and from remote,
- First Secondary Communications Processor (SCP) deployed.
- Information Technology Division formed by combining Computing
Center, Office of Administrative Systems, and U-M Office of
- May 1985
- UB system and request accounts available to the campus community.
- January 1986
- The first U-M computer conference organized by students
(Meet:students) is opened to all students using Confer on MTS.
- January 1992
- UB system merged into UM system.
- April 1996
- More than 49 million messages sent since 1981 using e-mail
- June 1996
- MTS retired at U-M. Still running at Wayne State University,
Rensselaer Polytechnic University, and the University of British
- June 1999
- MTS retired at RPI. Believed to be the last site to run MTS.
Back to my MTS page
Back to my U-M page
Back to my work page
Back to my home page