Chocolate Sheet Cake
Originally appeared in Cooks Digest, Jan/Feb 2001
- 0.75 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1.25 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.25 tsp. salt
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped (use chips)
- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus 1 Tbsp. for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 0.5 tsp. baking soda
- Put a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch cake pan with 1 Tbsp butter.
- In the microwave, heat the chocolate and 12 Tbsp butter
for 2 minutes at 50% power. Stir until smooth. (Use more
time and heat if necessary, but be careful not to burn the
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and whisk
- Add the baking soda to the buttermilk. Whisk that into
the chocolate/egg mixture.
- Whisk in the sifted dry ingredients (cocoa, flour, and salt)
and whisk until the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and
- Cool at least one hour, or pig out and burn your face.
Serve frosted (I'm partial to chocolate frosting), with vanilla
ice cream, and if you want to go truly decadent use chocolate
fudge icing, garnished with mini chocolate chips, and on a bed
of raspberry sauce.
Back to my dessert pages
Back to my recipe pages
Back to my fun pages
Back to my home page