- See Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE).
- See User Datagram Protocol (UDP).
- See Unix File System (UFS).
- See user interface (UI).
- See user ID (UID).
- UI server
- The display manager and command/callback engine.
- Back up one step; discard the most recent change.
- When one individual, specific host sends a message to another
individual, specific host. See also anycast,
- Uniform Resource Locator (URL)
- Also called a Universal Resource Locator. The pointer that
defines the access method, host, path name, and file name to some
reference or resource on an internet, accessible via a WWW browser. Defined in RFC 1738 and
- Universal Coordinated Time (UTC)
- The modern (post 1972) global coordinated time system,
explained in fuller detail.
- Unix File System (UFS)
- The generic name for the modern implementations of the Berkeley
fast file system (FFS). A hierarchical
file system in common use on Unix
- Unix to Unix Copy (UUCP)
- A file exchange protocol between two host computers. Used as
part of many firewall mechanisms. See also
- unshielded twisted pair (UTP)
- A cable where the pair of wires that carry the signal are not
shielded from external electromagnetic interference.
- Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE)
- Electronic junk mail advertising a product, service, or
web site, where the recipient did not request to receive the
message. See also spam.
- See Uniform Resource Locator (URL).
- USENET news
- A hierarchical organization of news articles and groups containing
information. The information ranges from technical (comp.*)
to entertainment and social activities (rec.*, soc.*)
to debates (talk.*).
- The ultimate source or destination of a message, or the ultimate
cause or effect of an action.
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
- A connectionless and therefore inherently unreliable data protocol (RFC
768) where data is sent but not acknowledged. No guarantee
of delivery is defined in the UDP protocol; no attempt to recover
from data loss is performed. See also IP
- user ID (UID)
- A numeric value for the user's account identification.
- user interface (UI)
- The interface between the user and the program. See also
command line interface (CLI),
graphical user interface (GUI),
- See Universal Coordinated Time (UTC).
- An application, program, or script used to accomplish a
- See unshielded twisted pair (UTP).
- See Unix to Unix Copy (UUCP).